The main target audience of the promotion of the work on Linked Open Data (LOD) in the ESS was the European Statistical System itself. The objectives of this included:
- raising the general awareness within the ESS about LOD
- alerting ESS managers to key issues requiring their attention
- facilitate collaboration at the technical level between skilled colleagues by bringing them together.
A secondary objective of the promotional work was to engage with relevant stakeholders outside the ESS, both within the European Commission (most notably with the Publications Office of the European Union and the Directorate-General for Informatics) and within the larger LOD ecosystem (search engine giants, publishing companies, academia).
The general awareness-raising actions included
- LOD workshops organised by Eurostat in January 2017 and the ESSnet on Linked Open Statistics in January 2019 as well as
- the final event of the ESSnet on Linked Open Statistics as well as presentations and panels at (and in connection with) the DIGICOM final event