The DIGICOM initiative on outreach to researchers comprised:
- A multidisciplinary workshop inviting researchers as users of European statistics (as opposed to researchers in the field of statistics)
- to present the current (statistics as well as microdata) and possible future (data analytics) offer of Eurostat, and
- to learn about the needs of researchers.
A key need expressed by many researchers at the workshop concerned access to microdata.
- The elaboration (by communication specialists) of a microdata access communication kit consisting of:
- a promotional slide deck informing researchers about the possibility for them to access Eurostat metadata,
- an upgraded (more didactic) user guide for the system whereby researchers apply for access to microdata.
The outcome of this initiative is the microdata access communication kit.