EDAMIS datasets have two properties that determine whether data transmissions or feedback transmissions for that dataset should be encrypted:
- Data confidential: when set to yes, EDAMIS expects data for the dataset to be encrypted
- Feedback confidential: when set to yes, EDAMIS expects data for the dataset to be encrypted
When these properties are set to yes, a public key must be activated at consumer level (in case the data is confidential) or provider level (in case the feedback is confidential). Failure to activate a public key would lead to the consumer / provider receiving encrypted data / feedback which they would not be able to decrypt.
The "Datasets by country and organisation" report can be used to check if a public key is activated when the dataset is confidential (note that this check cannot be applied for datasets with the status “In preparation”).
For that, as an example in this specific report, you can perform the following selection:
- The country: C1
- One domain: EDAMIS1
- In the filter of this report:
- The “Confidentiality” should be set to “yes”
- If you select in The “Organization role” column “Consumer responsible” or “Consumer delegate”, the "Key status" column will display the status of the key at consumer level. This is the key used to encrypt data transmissions sent to the consumer.
- If you select in The “Organization role” column “Provider responsible” or “Provider delegate", the "Key status" column will display the status of the key at provider level. This is the key used to encrypt feedback transmissions sent to the provider.
In this example, you can see that on EDAMIS1_A19_A, a public key is missing for the organization ORG1 at consumer level (the key may be available but not activated or not uploaded for ORG1 organization).
In case you need information on how to create a public / private key pair, you can consult the section 6.7 p 26 of the following user guide “How to exchange file in EDAMIS 4”.
The corresponding missing keys could be added / activated by users that have the right to perform this action (Transmission coordinators, Domain managers, Domain co-responsible or Administrators) through the following interfaces:
- Inventory/Public keys
- Key dataset country link (to activate a key)
- Key availability (to upload a key)
- Inventory/dataset/consumer/organization for the transmission (to upload and/or activate a public key)